|The ant||carries||a kernel of corn.|
When students encounter Subject+Verb+Object and Subject+Verb+Complement sentences for the first time, they can have trouble telling the two apart.
Here is a test.
Change each sentence into passive voice, and see what happens.
Corn is carried by the ant. (CORRECT)
Industrious is appeared by the ant. (INCORRECT)
Subject-Verb-Object sentences can be turned into passive voice sentences.
Subject-Verb-Complement sentences can’t.
• William J. Kerrigan’s X-1-2-3 method – all posts
• SVO v. SVC
• Class notes X-1-2-3
• 5 + 2: the 7 ‘canonical’ English sentences
• 10 basic sentence patterns in the English language
• SM’s sophisticated SVOO sentence
• DT’s astute observation (reflexive pronouns)